SVN Canada Inc.
#51-5100 South Service Road
Burlington, ON, Canada L9L 6A5
Derek Lobo is the CEO of SVN Canada Inc.. Derek is regarded as a knowledge expert in the Student Housing field and in the Apartment Industry and has provided numerous seminars and training programs for every level of apartment professional, ranging from owners and property managers to leasing agents and on-site personnel. His extensive knowledge of the industry has placed him as an in-demand presenter and consultant throughout North America.
CEO, SVN Rock Advisors Inc., Brokerage (2007 – present)
- SVN Rock Advisors Inc., Brokerage is a Commercial Real Estate firm, specializing in rental apartments, new apartment construction, and student housing. SVN Rock Advisors has brokered well over $1 billion in apartment transactions across Canada.
CEO SVN Canada Inc. (2015 – present)
- Master franchise for the largest privately held commercial brokerage in the world. Derek has and plans on establishing 40 franchises over 10 years
CEO, Derek A. Lobo & Associates Inc. (DALA) Group of Companies (1988 – present)
- DALA Group of Companies is a consulting agency focused on the revenue maximization of purpose-built apartments. DALA Group advises apartment owners on how to maximize their NOI and is typically paid on performance. We conduct on-site marketing programs, feasibility studies on new apartment construction, and research market conditions to assist clients in increasing cash flow.
- Derek has worked in over 17 U.S. states including: Alabama, Arizona, California, Florida, Georgia, Michigan, New York, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania and Texas.
- Derek has worked for numerous U.S. apartment clients including:
- Home Properties
- Equity Residential
- Lane Company
- Flagship Properties
- Pinnacle Property Management
- Village Green Companies
- Well-known for his thought leadership, Derek is a captivating speaker on topics affecting the Apartment Industry, and the factors driving its future in both Canada and the U.S. Derek has spoken to several American organizations including:
- National Apartment Association
- National Multi-Housing Council
- Multi-Housing World
- Derek has illustrated the power of (re)-positioning to Canadian apartment developers, investors, and owners by hosting intimate tours of key properties in prime U.S. markets. These jet-charted events provided valuable exposure to successful high-end rental apartment concepts.
|1986 – 1990||Syndicated Limited Partnerships – apartment owner, investor, and manager|
|1987||Self Published How to Take a Building to Rent Review generated $100,000.00 in revenue.|
|1987-1990||Rent Review Consultant – Represented beneficial apartment owners through the quasi judicial rent review and application process. Hearings were conducted under the statutory procedures act. Derek became an expert in Ontario rent regulation.|
|1990 – Present||Performance Based Consulting and Asset Management
In the late 80’s and early 90’s Derek spent considerable time in the U.S. acquiring practical knowledge on the sales and marketing of rental apartments and brought expertise back to the Canadian marketplace. Consulting services included NOI enhancement, sales training, marketing plans, contract leasing, rental pricing strategy, mystery shopping, and filling other gaps in the rental housing industry.
|1993||Self published How to Rent Apartments Fast! a 500-page book which included two videos. The book generated $250,000 in sales.|
|1996||Self Produced RentSmart Video Academy included 12 videos and 12 cassette tapes along with books. The training programs generated $250,000 in sales.|
|2003 – present||Student Housing Consulting
In early 2000’s Derek recognised there was no functioning student housing business market in Canada, and was the first Canadian (after studying the U.S. market) to enter the student housing consulting market. Derek ran his first student housing symposium in 2012 and has been responsible for the sale of over $300 million in student housing transactions.
|2007||Established Rock Advisors Inc., Brokerage. Rock was the first brokerage firm in Canada to combine advisory services and a boutique apartment brokerage.|
|2007||Sold Canada’s first Student Housing Portfolio to division of CDP Capital (the largest pension fund in Canada)|
|2011 – present||New Apartment Construction Consulting
Using the same process for student housing, Derek analysed his U.S. counterparts and developed a New Apartment Construction consulting business. Today Derek A. Lobo and Associates (DALA) is the largest consulting firm in this sector in Canada. Services include new apartment construction feasibility studies for developers and lenders, project financing, strategic marketing planning, asset management, and disposition
|2011||Sold the largest apartment transaction in Canada. The transaction included 13 buildings (2,300) apartments, a shopping centre and a medical office building in London Ontario. The property was bought by a major Canadian pension fund, the largest private financial equity group in Canada, and a one of the larger owner/operator/developers in the country. Play the Cherry Hill video.|
|2012 – 2016||New Apartment Construction Symposium Recognising the lack of information on New Apartment Construction in the Canadian market place ROCK began hosting 2-day conferences on New Apartment Construction. The symposium has established itself an industry event in the Canadian development industry.
|2015||Reinventing commercial brokerage in Canada ROCK Acquires Master Franchise rights for SVN in Canada. Derek recognised the commercial brokerage industry worldwide was fractured and dysfunctional and concluded that the SVN business model of transparency and commission sharing would always serve the clients needs better than the exclusive listing non commission sharing model that is predominant throughout the world. Derek plans on establishing 40 franchises over 10 years. Play the SVN Difference video.
|2016||Sold (under contract) the largest new apartment complex in Canadian history, over 700 units at a sale price of over $250 million.|